Friday, March 13, 2009

When the Game is Over, It all goes back in the Box.

I just finished reading that book by John Ortberg. It was one of those books I couldn't put down. It is actually quite sobering, you look around at all the things that matter to you like clothes, TV's, Nifty technological items like washers and dryers, dishwashers and you think, wow I spent so much time trying to get the money to buy all this stuff and in the end it doesn't even matter.

God and People matter. That is what we are supposed to be spending our time, effort, love on. People will last, in a sense. One of our purposes on this earth I believe is to get everyone into heaven. How can we possibly do that if we are busy in front of the computer or watching TV, or even making tons of money trying to buy the newest of things? Don't get me wrong, I love clothes, and the internet, it's one of my flaws ( quite a big one), but reading this book gave me a different perspective.

If I only have today left am I going to spend tons of time getting "pretty"? Am I going to dust and clean all of my "temporary" possessions? (Now I'm not saying live in a disgusting house, because that's taking it overboard)

If I only had today left, I would spend all of my time with people, with my precious children and the lovely people in my life. I wouldn't sit in front of the TV or the computer, I'd get out enjoy the precious gifts God has given us. The smell of newly opened rose buds, the gorgeous white and pink blossoms on the trees, the pretty sound of birds chirping and the awesome gift of human life.

In a sense I only have today to do things. I can't wait for "life to get better", "James to make more money", "My kids to get a little bit older" because I might not have tomorrow to do the things I should have done today.

I'm also learning to be thankful for the tiny things and even the things that seem like such a burden. Everyday is another gift from God, we should always remember to thank him for giving us another day, even another breath of life. When you wake up in the morning say "God Thank you for another beautiful day to do your will on this earth." It makes your whole day go quite differently than if you roll out of bed grumpy because you didn't get enough sleep because maybe you were up late taking care of your "temporary" possessions or working super hard to buy some more. :)

Even if your sick take joy in the fact that you are still alive. Your hearts still beating and your still breathing. If we take gratitude in EVERYTHING, just imagine how much more joy you will have. God has given us everything we can see, and even things we can't. We need to be thankful everyday, because in an instant in can be taken away. Without warning or anything.

I have one more thing to say, When you die do you want to be remembered by that person that made tons of money and had a giant house with lots of useless possessions, or do you want to be remembered by that Amazing person who gave so much of their life and drastically changed other peoples lives? I don't know about you ( and I even love my "temporary" clothes) I would rather be known as the person that had little and gave a lot.

Until next time...

No comments: