Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Name Days


A name day is a tradition in many countries in Europe and Latin America of celebrating on a particular day of the year associated with the one's given name. The custom originated with the Catholic and Orthodox calendar of saints, where believers, named after a particular saint, would celebrate that saint's feast day. In many countries, however, there is no longer any explicit connection to Christianity.
-Wikipedia

Each first name is assigned to one day of the calendar, based on religious traditions, historical events, birthday of a famous person who had the same first name, or on other facts.

Birthdays are normally celebrated with just immediate families and Name Days are widely known and celebrated by everyone. That's kind of nice if you don't want everyone knowing your age :)

A list of Name days for you guys;

Amber - Feb 28th
James - July 25th
Cameron - July 18th
Leilani - Aug 11th
Michele - Sep. 29th
Robert - June 7th
Katherine - Nov. 25th
Suzanne - Aug 11th
Barbara - Dec. 4th

Mynameday.com

I just found that quite interesting.. Now I know something new for the day!





5 comments:

GrammieC said...

So can I have a party in September? I never heard of name days before. I hope you are feeling better today. I am praying for you.

Amber <3 said...

Of course you can..I'll write it down and make sure to celebrate it :)

Anwen said...

Wow. I have read on Orthodox blogs of people celebrating name days, but never took the time to look it up. That's cool!

Barbara said...

How very cool... I'll have to write those down! I have a long time 'til my name day. Did you celebrate yours?

Amber <3 said...

I wish I would have known about them before the 28th of Feb. Then I would have celebrated mine :) What's better than another day to celebrate yourself :)